A pass for introductory translation courses Dutch to English and English to Dutch. Alternatively, a pass for the entry test or tests that the English Department will make available from March 2012.
The aim of this advanced translation course is to familiarize its participants with the challenges a translator faces in practice. Practice makes perfect, which is why the emphasis lies on discussing the translations students have prepared at home and on doing translations that a professional translator may be expected to do. The texts will cover a wide range of topics and registers.
At the end of the course students are able to translate a linguistically sophisticated, but non-specialist Dutch text into grammatically and stylistically correct English, and vice versa.
Mode of instruction
2-hour weekly seminar
- Presentation of an annotated translation and contributions to discussion in class (30 %)
• Average mark of two of the ten translations handed in during the course (40%)
• Translation test (D-E; E-D) (40%).
• Lemmens, M., & Parr, T. (2002). Handboek voor de vertaler Nederlands-Engels (praktische tips). Amsterdam: Intertaal.
• Renkema, J. (2005). Schrijfwijzer. Den Haag: SDU Uitgevers.
• Van Dale vertaalwoordenboeken (Nederlands-Engels and Engels-Nederlands).
Students are expected to be in possession of the grammars and dictionaries prescribed for the Language Acquisition courses in the BA English Language and Culture.
Students should register through uSis. Exchange students cannot register through uSis, but must see the director of studies and register with her.