Regular MA admission requirements.
The course consists of four parts:
a) reading unpointed texts in Biblical Hebrew, paying attention to each and every grammatical detail;
b) bi-weekly translating assignments from English to fully-vocalized Biblical Hebrew;
c) an oral presentation (with handout) on grammatical and philological details of a specific Biblical verse, using advanced tools such as dictionaries, standard grammars and commentaries.
d) a written paper on the subject of the oral presentation.
- Advanced knowledge of the details of Biblical Hebrew grammar.
- Translation skills English to vocalized Biblical Hebrew.
- Skills in using and understanding relevant literature (dictionaries, commentaries, grammars, monographs) for the study of specific passages in Biblical Hebrew.
- Oral and written presentation skills.
For the most recent update of the timetable, click here.
Mode of instruction
Bi-weekly translations, oral presentation, written paper.
For this course use is made of Blackboard.
- Weingreen, Classical Hebrew Composition (sold out; relevant passages available through Blackboard);
- Unpointed Biblical Hebrew texts (available through Blackboard).
Exchange and Study Abroad students, please see the Study in Leiden. website for information on how to apply.
Dr. M.F.J. Baasten. Tel. +31 71 527 2257.