Due to the Corona virus education methods or examination can deviate. For the latest news please check the course page in Brightspace.

Prospectus

nl en

Multi-Level Governance

Course
2012-2013

Tag(s)

WP, PS, ID

Admission Requirements

Similarly tagged 200-level and 300-level courses. Students that do not meet this prerequisite should contact the instructor regarding the required competencies before course allocation.

Description

In this course, we explore the state of politics and administration in a context where the nation-state is being partially hollowed-out, and authority is increasingly being reallocated upward to supranational institutions, downward to regional and local bodies and sideways to private and societal organizations. The purpose of this course is to shed light on the phenomenon’s meaning, origin, organization, actual practicing, power relationships, and policy implications. After a theoretical introduction the course delves into the transnational level, the EU level, the national and subnational level. While the focus is on MLG within Europe, ample attention will be given tot MLG in other regions (North America, Latin America, Arab region, Africa, Post-Soviet Eurasia and ASEAN) and global governance. The classes will consist of interactive lectures, guest lectures, work visits to relevant institutions (Parliament, the British Embassy, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs) class presentations and student-led discussions.

Course Objectives

  • To provide students with knowledge of the most important theoretical, empirical and normative debates on multi-level governance.

  • To familiarize students with topical research in the field of MLG, which brings together political science, public administration, EU-studies and international relations.

  • To enhance students’ critical understanding of the potential and limits of various recent governance approaches.

  • To stimulate active class participation

  • To enhance students academic presenting and writing skills.

On completion of the course, students should be able to:

  • Discuss the key characteristics, strengths and weaknesses of the MLG approach

  • Apply theoretical concepts to concrete instances of politics and administration at different levels of government and between levels of government

  • Follow and understand debates on institutional, policy, democratic and legitimacy challenges in contemporary governance.

  • Build, present and defend well-grounded arguments on the nature, strengths and pitfalls of multi-level governance in different regions of the world.

Mode of Instruction

The course will be taught through interactive lectures, presentations by students, guest lectures by academics and practitioners, and student-led discussions. Taken together, this course’s teaching methods are interactive, deal with real life situations and challenge students to deliver the best work possible.
Students will do the large majority of the work individually. Presentations will be prepared and delivered in small groups. Group presentations are graded and count as 15 % of the final grade. The other 85 % of the final grade is based on individual performance.

Assessment

Assessment: In-class participation
Percentage: 15%
Deadline: Ongoing Weeks 1 – 7

Assessment: In-class presentation and discussion-moderation
Percentage: 15%
Deadline: Sessions 2.2; 4.2; 5.1, 6.1, 7.1

Assessment: Essay (2500 words)
Percentage: 30%
Deadline: Friday March 29, 14:00.

Assessment: Final exam
Percentage: 40%
Deadline: Tuesday March 26, 09:00 – 11:00

Literature

Students will have to purchase the following textbook:
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199259267.do

Contact Information

cberg@fsw.leidenuniv.nl

Weekly Overview

-

Preparation for first session

N/A