World Archaeology 2 and World Archaeology 3 obtained.
Visual culture and its contextualisation will be treated from different methodological and theoretical viewpoints. In the classes on Wednesday 9-11 hrs, examples will be taken from Ancient Greek remains, while the 11-13 hrs class will focus on indigenous Andean examples.
The different approaches and respective conclusions for these specific cultural areas will be compared to what was developed in other culture areas and historical settings.
Consequently, the course will present students not only with current interpretations of Classical and Andean archaeologies but also open up the possibility to apply the analytical apparatus and theoretical perspectives to other regions.
- Practise how to undertake a formal analysis of visual culture;
- Applying different theoretical and methodological approaches to archaeological sources in order to gain insights into various cultural structures and developments (e.g. political, social, economic).
The course load will be distributed as follows:
- 14 hours of lectures;
- 2,000 words of written homework;
- 1,500-1,800 words (essay);
Course schedule details can be found in the bachelor 2 time schedule.
Mode of instruction
- Active participation.
Weekly articles (500 words), leading up to a final essay
All assessment deadlines (exams, retakes, paper deadlines etc.) can be found in the examination schedule.
- E. Panofsky, “Iconography and Iconology: An introduction to the Study of Renaissance Art” (Chapter 1) (1955) in: Meaning of the Visual Art. New York: Doubleday Anchor Books. pp. 26-54;
- U. Eco, Semiotics and the Philosophy of Language (Introduction and Chapter 1). Bloomington: Indiana University Press (First Midland book edition) (1986), pp. 1-46;
- A. Gell, Art and Agency. An Anthropological Theory. Oxford: Clarendon Press (1998). pp. 12-27.
Exchange and Study Abroad students, please see the Prospective students website for information on how to apply.
For more information about this course, please contact mw. prof. dr. N. Sojc.