Propedeuse Archeologie (1st year) obtained.
This course illustrates the application of Archaeology Theory through thematic lectures in which concepts and insights from theoretical archaeology shall be applied to case studies from various periods and regions. Class debate is part of each session.
- Awareness of the practical problems of applying theory in archaeological practice;
- Ability to compare and valuate different approaches in various regional contexts to theoretical issues;
- Learning to be critical and self-confident in debating theory;
- Acquaintance with current interpretative debates in archaeology.
The course load will be distributed as follows:
- 7×2 hours of lecture (1 ects);
- 300 pages of literature (2 ects);
- Weekly discussion in mini-essays of 300 words + final essay of 1,200 words (2 ects).
Course schedule details can be found in the bachelor 3 time schedule.
Mode of instruction
- Presentation plus active participation during the course and in discussions (20%);
- Mini-essays, max. 300 words (30%);
- Final essay, max. 1,200 words (50%).
The mini-essays have to be submitted a week after each lecture. The final essay is due 2 weeks after the last meeting.
All essays have to be submitted through SafeAssign.
All assessment deadlines (exams, retakes, paper deadlines etc.) can be found in the examination schedule.
The reading list will be published on Blackboard prior to the first meeting.
Exchange and Study Abroad students, please see the Prospective students website for information on how to apply.
Contractonderwijs: all information (costs, registration, entry requirements, etc.) for those who are interested in taking this course as a Contractstudent is on the Contractonderwijs Archeologie webpage (in Dutch).