Same as admission requirements for the BA Art History.
In this course the architecture and town planning in the Low Countries from the period between 1550 and 2010 will be studied, from the early beginnings of the Renaissance to recent developments. In each lecture, a few major buildings or building complexes will be discussed; they will be situated in the context of the main architectural debates of their time, and we will consider both the European and global context of these highligts of architecture and town planning projects in the Netherlands.
- After having finished this lecture series, students will be able to analyse the main examples of architecture in the Low Countries from 1550 to the present, locate them within the oeuvre of the architects, and in the context of theoretical debates.
- Having some understanding of the European and global context of the architecture of the Low Countries.
- Being able to read plans, and analyse space, structure, building techniques and ornament.
- Having some knowledge of the main literature on the subjects, and the critical and theoretical perspectives or positions on which existing studies are based.
Mode of instruction
- Lecture series
- Personal feedback on assignment
Course load in summary: 5 ects (140 hrs)
24 hrs: Attending lectures (2 hrs weekly x 12 weeks)
24 hrs: Lecture preparations (reading texts)
08 hrs: Excursion (incl. preparation)
15 hrs: Preparing mid term exam (multiple choice)
25 hrs: Practical assinment: preparing and writing a 750 words paper
40 hrs: Exam preparation (reading, writing abstracts etc.)
04 hrs: Exams
- Mid-course exam (20% of the grade): written exam consisting of 5 questions (multiple choice)
- Short practical assignment (30% of the grade): paper (750 words)
- Final exam (50% of the grade): written exam consisting of 8 essay questions
Compensation: the weighted average mark should be at least 6.0 (rounded at one decimal).
Resit: one resit per insufficient mark.
Blackboard will be used to post announcements, the required reading list, powerpoints plus abstracts of the lectures, relevant events, and for submitting the assignment.
- To be announced.
Registration Studeren à la Carte and Contractonderwijs
Sign up for à la Carte via: www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/onderwijs/alacarte/
Sign up for Contractonderwijs (contract-based education) via: www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/onderwijs/contractonderwijs/
Mw Dr. J.G. (Juliette) Roding
Huizinga Building, room 225b
(tel: +31 (0) 71 5272154