Some familiarity with the works of the philosophers mentioned in the course title is a big advantage.
à la carte-studenten hebben alleen toegang tot deze cursus met toestemming van de docent.
This course examines the central role of the notion of body in the works of four of the most influential thinkers in modern philosophy. The two key questions that this course addresses are: A) Why do these four philosophers have recourse to the body and to physiology in order to answer the philosophical questions that they face? and B) How exactly does the concept of body help them in the philosophical work they perform? Addressing these questions will offer a solid understanding of the connections between the four and a good grasp the intellectual tradition of which they were part and which they opposed.
Course objectives will be made available on Blackboard at the start of the course
Mode of instruction
Lectures and seminars
To be announced.
- Active participation in the seminars including seminar-assignments and oral presentations (50%).
- Paper on a topic of the student’s choice, subject to the express approval of the instructor (50%).
Blackboard will be used for posting texts and assignments.
- Descartes, Passions of the Soul and selected letters to Princess Elisabeth.
- Spinoza, Ethics. Selections from Book 2,3 and 4.
- Schopenhauer, The World as Will and Representation, Selected chapters.
- Nietzsche, Various texts from the Kritische Studienausgabe (DTV/de Gruyter, 1980 ff.).
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs