Master’s students MSc Psychology. Pass for ‘Advanced Psycho-diagnostics’ is advised.
This course extends students’ knowledge of abnormal development from infancy through to adolescence, and simultaneously builds knowledge around the approaches to assessment, prevention and intervention for clinical problems arising during this time.
Representative problems covered in the course include: Anxiety, Trauma, Attention-Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Personality Disorders, Schizophrenia, Conduct Disorders, and others.
The seminars, generally conducted by an expert in the topic being addressed, are centered around a discussion topic relevant to contemporary Child and Adolescent psychiatry and comprise a presentation by students, examination of a case study by students and the expert and discussion of scientific developments and trends, issues in society. Emphasis is given to:
- The requirements to properly set a diagnosis
- Different forms of treatment and treatment planning
- Critical evaluation of (scientific) information. E.g. related to the effectiveness of different forms of intervention and treatment
To develop the academic skills and competencies necessary for psychologists to both critically and professionally participate in the decision making processes within the field of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
Advanced Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (2013-2014):
Mode of instruction
Eight seminars, each incorporating a critical discussion with an expert in the field.
- A group presentation during one of the seminars
- An individual paper on one of the assigned discussion topics and corresponding case study
- Active participation in the seminars
From January 1, 2006 the Faculty of Social Sciences has instituted the Ephorus system to be used by instructors for the systematic detection of plagiarism in students’ written work. Please see the information concerning fraud .
Information on blackboard.leidenuniv.nl
- Rutter, M. a.o. Rutter’s Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 5th ed. 2008 Blackwell Publishing (Textbook can be purchased from study association Labyrint with significant reduction).
- Additional literature related to each seminar topic will be provided during the course. A couple of examples:
Crowell SE, Beauchaine TP, Linehan MM. (2009). A biosocial developmental model of borderline personality: Elaborating and extending Linehan’s theory. Psychological Bulletin 2009 May;135(3):495-510.
Reichart C.G., Nolen W.A., Earlier onset of Bipolar Disorder in children by antidepressants or stimulants? A hypothesis. Journal of affective Disorders, 2004 jan,78(1):81-4.
Students need to enrol for the course via uSis on the master’s introduction and course enrolment day that takes place at the start of each semester. Please, consult the master’s agenda Psychology.
Dr. A. C. Miers