Master students of Child and Adolescent Psychology.
Satisfactory completion of the course is necessary to start with the internship.
This Masters-level course provides education and training in the psycho diagnostic process of children with cognitive and social-emotional problems. It builds upon the 2nd year Bachelors course in Psycho-diagnostics and Psychometrics.
This Master course focuses on an integration of the various diagnostic processes, by emphasizing the different stages in the psychodiagnostic process:
- intake/ interview
- developing hypotheses
- selecting criteria and materials (tests, questionnaires, observations etc.) for hypothesis testing
- testing the child
- integrating the data
Integrated diagnostic skills will be developed through:
- training practical skills
- practise on developping hypotheses by means of cases
- scoring and interpretation of test data
- demonstration and use of the various diagnostic tools
- practical training in anamnesis and social-interactive skills (with parents, children)
- report writing
- testing children at their homes
Various case histories supported with video demonstrations will be used to introduce the various psycho-diagnostic problem domains to the student. Students will be given the opportunity to experience the diagnostic process through participation in and observation of various diagnostic activities.
The main objectives of this course are:
- Students will acquire advanced knowledge of the psycho diagnostic processes.
- Students will acquire skills necessary for various stages in the diagnostic process (from intake to integration of findings)
Advanced Psycho-diagnostics in Children and Adolescents (2013-2014):
Mode of instruction
- Plenary lectures
- (smaller) workgroups
- Guest speakers
- Verbal examinations, integration of theory and practice.
- One written case report
From January 1, 2006 the Faculty of Social Sciences has instituted the Ephorus system to be used by instructors for the systematic detection of plagiarism in students’ written work. Please see the information concerning fraud .
Information on blackboard.leidenuniv.nl
For Dutch Speaking Students:
- Kievit, Th., Tak, J.A., Bosch, J.D. (2008, 7e druk) (Eds.). Handboek psychodiagnostiek voor de hulpverlening aan kinderen. Utrecht: de Tijdstroom.
- Pameijer, N.K., Beukering, J.T.E. van (2004). Handelingsgerichte diagnostiek: een praktijkmodel voor diagnostiek en advisering bij onderwijsleerproblemen. Leuven: Acco.
- Verschueren, K & Koomen, H. (2007). Handboek Diagnostiek in de leerlingbegeleiding. Antwerpen-Apeldoorn: Garant
For English Speaking Students:
- Car, A,. (2006). The Handbook of Child and Adolescent Clinical Psychology. A contextual Approach, (2nd revised edition) london/ New York: Routledge
- Various articles which will be announced later on Blackboard.
Students need to enrol for the course via uSis on the master’s introduction and course enrolment day that takes place at the start of each semester. Please, consult the master’s agenda Psychology.
Drs. E. Bohnen
Contact via secretary room 3B48
Phone +31 71 5273644