Information and enrollment meeting
Wednesday 28 August 2013
13:00 – 15:00 hrs
Room 5A29, Pieter de la Court building.
- Master’s students Psychology
- Took Interpersonal Behavioral Skills course (IBV), 2nd year BA Psychology at Leiden University or equivalent prior education
- Fluent in Dutch
- Continued practice period available in Semester 2 for selected students.
This is a training course aimed at developing teaching skills for communication and social skills-training from a psychological perspective. The course, taught once a year, is a combination of theory, training and real-life practice and requires personal involvement of the student.
In the first part of the training, on a task level, students practice core perceptual- and behavioural skills necessary to create an optimal learning climate. They learn how to work with exercises that enable trainees to acquire knowledge about the role of personal and contextual influences in communication. They also learn to apply educational principles, how to custom-design a course and how to build an appropriate training design for a particular purpose.
Parallel to this task level, the student is working on his or her goals for personal and professional development. Identifying personal talent, mindfulness of dysfunctional patterns, leadership style, and recognizing ones own reactive behavior are part of this personal trajectory within the course.
From mid November till the end of January, there is full-time education on Mondays and Fridays, with integrative exercises in between.The course is thus intensive in terms of personal involvement and time. It is aimed at Master’s students who possess leadership qualities, willingness and capability for self-reflection and behavioural change. It is suited for those who want to explore the vocation to professional trainership.
In the second semester (February-June 2014), selected students are given the opportunity for closely supervised training of 2nd year Bachelor’s students on Interpersonal Professional Skills (IBV), which may constitute part of an internship for several Master’s trajectories (10 ECTS).
Students will acquire advanced knowledge, insight and skills necessary to design and perform training designs aimed at personal development and interpersonal communication skills.
Trainers Course Communication Skills (2013-2014):
Mode of instruction
- plenary instruction meetings,
- integrative homework exercises,
- project group work
- supervision and intervision
Students will practice skills and techniques in role-taking as trainer/teacher.
- Integrative homework exercises.
- Active participation during all meetings. Satisfactory functioning in supervised assignments as well as the practice periods
From January 1, 2006 the Faculty of Social Sciences has instituted the Ephorus system to be used by instructors for the systematic detection of plagiarism in students’ written work. Please see the information concerning fraud .
Information will be available on blackboard.leidenuniv.nl after successful enrolment
- Remmerswaal, J. (2004). Handboek Groepsdynamica. Een nieuwe inleiding op theorie en praktijk. Soest, Uitgeverij H. Nelissen. (€ 39,80)
- Oomkes. (2001 or 2004). Training als Beroep, deel 1 Trainingstheorie. Sociale en interculturele vaardigheid. Meppel/Amsterdam: Uitgeverij Boom. (€ 75,00)
Additional materials (to be provided)
- Skills-lab: GeVat3 basistraining in Professionele Gespreksvoering (J. Adema, K.van der Zee, P.R. Fokkinga, E.J.A. Bakker)
- Skills-lab: Kernkwaliteiten en het kernkwadrant
- Cleiren et al. (2005). Wetenschappelijk Interviewen (Online syllabus).
Students need to enrol for the course via uSis on the master’s introduction and course enrolment day tthat takes place at the start of each semester. Please, consult the master’s agenda Psychology.
NB: A limited number of places is available. An information meeting on the TCCS course with pre-registration for enrolment will be held in the end of August. The exact data will be announced here soon. Priority of admission is given to those students who have successfully taken part in IBV during the Ba phase at Leiden University, and are willing to extend the TCCS course into an extended Master’s internship (teaching IBV during the second semester (February-June 2014). Formal enrolment for TCCS will take place together with the enrolment for the other Master’s courses.
Students must register for each examination. Students, who haven’t registered, cannot participate in an exam
Dr. M. Cleiren
Tel: +31 (0)71 527 3727