Master’s students Psychology preferably with specialisation Health psychology, Occupational Health Psychology or Clinical Psychology.
This elective course is developed to familiarize psychology students with health psychology in practical settings. Six practising health psychologists will describe in the sessions the background and essential tasks of:
- their work
- covering primary health care
- health promotion
- psychology in general hospitals
- rehabilitation settings
- paediatric psychology.
In addition, students will receive practical assignments from each health psychologist related to a case, an assessment, a consultation, an intervention or another professional action.
- Students get to know the backgrounds and essential tasks of health psychologists in practical settings
- Students will get a better perspective of future jobs and requirements to acquire these jobs
- Students acquire skills concerning diagnosis, counseling, interventions and health promotion through assignments
- Students learn to reflect and comment on health psychology practice
Health Psychology in Practice (2013-2014):
Mode of instruction
- 6 lectures (2 hours)
- 6 workgroups with (group)assignments (3 hours)
- Final endpaper
NB. Presence in all sessions is obligatory, missing one session (when announced beforehand and with reason) can be compensated with an alternative assignment. Missing more sessions is not allowed.
The grade will be composed of the final endpaper (80%) and assignments (20%).
From January 1, 2006 the Faculty of Social Sciences has instituted the Ephorus system to be used by instructors for the systematic detection of plagiarism in students’ written work. Please see the information concerning fraud .
Information on blackboard.leidenuniv.nl
- Reading materials are posted on blackboard
Students need to enrol for the course via uSis on the master’s introduction and course enrolment day that takes place at the start of each semester. Please, consult the master’s agenda Psychology.
Dr. C. Verhoeven
Tel: +31 (0)71 527 4069