Students have to have basic knowledge of syntactic theory. Previous knowledge of Chinese is not required.
In this course, we discuss issues in Chinese syntax, especially the structure of noun phrases (including discussions of classifiers) and the structure of the verb phrase. Other issues that will be discussed are: tense and aspect, quantifiers, questions, comparatives and relative clauses. We will draw data from Mandarin and Cantonese, and sometimes other dialects.
- Students are familiarized with issues in Chinese syntax and semantics.
- Students will understand analyses of particular issues.
- Students will be able to formulate questions and hypotheses based on current analyses.
- Students’ research skills will be further developed: they learn to report their findings both in writing and orally, for general as well as scholarly audiences.
The timetable will be available by June 1st on the website.
Mode of instruction
- time spent on attending lectures and seminars: 26 hours
- time for studying the compulsory literature: 104 hours
- time for assignments: 60 hours
- time for the term paper: 90 hours
- Several written and oral assignments 40%
- Term paper 60%
This course is supported by Blackboard.
To be made available on Blackboard.
Students should register through uSis. If you have any questions, please contact the departmental office, tel. 071 5272144 or mail: email@example.com
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
Registration Studeren à la carte via: www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/onderwijs/alacarte
Registration Contractonderwijs via: http://www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/onderwijs/contractonderwijs/
MA Linguistics departmental office, P.N. van Eyckhof 4, room 102C. Tel. 071 5272144; mail:firstname.lastname@example.org