Building on the courses Effective Field Theory and Quantum Theory, this is a first course in the Quantum Theory of Fields which consistently unifies special relativity with quantum mechanics.
• Quantum Mechanics from a Lagrangian perspective
• The path integral
• Spin and the Lorentz Group
• The Dirac Equation
• The theory of Quantum-ElectroDynamics
• Perturbation theory and elementary scattering processes
• Introduction to Renormalization, the renormallization group and the connection with critical phenomena
2×2 hrs/week lectures for 9 weeks; 7 weekly problem sets
M.E. Peskin, D.V. Schroeder: An introduction to Quantum Field Theory, Westview Press, 1995.
R. Rattazzi: The Path Integral approach to Quantum Mechanics, http://itp.epfl.ch/webdav/site/itp/users/174685/private/RevisedLectureNotesV2.pdf
Form of examination
60% Problem assignments; 40% Written Final exam (must pass)
Lecturer: Dr. K.E. Schalm (Koenraad)