[BSc] PSc, M:GPH
A similarly-tagged 100-level course.
This course prepares the student to employ the research methods pertinent to public health research and interventions. Quantitative and Qualitative methods, as well as the surveillance methods of monitoring and evaluation will be reviewed. Analytical methods will be practised in weekly Lab Sessions to familiarize the student with a full range of methods by which to analyze data.
Mode of Instruction
To be confirmed in course syllabus:
Research Report: 40%
Research Presentation: 20%
WHO. 2008. Framework to Monitor and Evaluate Implementation. Geneva:WHO.
Part I : Quantitative Data Collection and Analysis
Week 1a Surveillance: Monitoring and Evaluation of interventions I
- Introduction to appropriate design of indicators and use of process and output indicators.
Week 1b Lab Section: Introduction to SPSS
Week 2a Surveillance: Monitoring and Evaluation of interventions II
- The design and use of outcome indicators.
Week 2b Lab Section: Introduction to STATA
Week 3a Surveillance: Monitoring and Evaluation of interventions III
- Specific types of surveillance including anthropometric measurement and rapid assessments.
Week 3b Lab Section: Introduction to Arc-GIS
Week 4a Surveillance: Monitoring and Evaluation of interventions IV
- The use of triangulation in program monitoring and evaluation.
Week 4b Lab Section: Introduction to Atlas:ti
Part II: Qualitative Data Collection and Analysis
Week 5a Qualitative Instruments I
- Overview of the use of Surveys, Likert Scales, Structured Interviews, Semi-structured interviews and Unstructured Interviews in health research and interventions.
Week 5b Lab Section: Introduction to NVivo
Week 6a Qualitative Instruments II
- Overview of the use of Participant Observation, Free Lists and Pile Sorts.
Week 6b Lab Section: Introduction to Johnson’s Hierarchical Clustering and Multi-dimensional Analysis
Part III: Putting it Together
Week 7a Reflexivity, and Ethics in Global Health
- Introduction to the use of reflexivity in research and interventions and how ethics are applied in practise.
Week 7b Review and Practice
- Review of course with practice session choosing appropriate research methods for given research questions.
Preparation for first session