Please note that the following description of the course is only provisional and therefore subject to change._
Admission to the Masters programme (European Law specialisation).
In the context of the course Capita Selecta of European Law – Privatissimum, students will focus on a particular topic of European law under the supervision of a lecturer who is an expert in that particular field-Students will thus benefit from lecturers who teach about the very core of their own research interests. This year’s topics will include EU constitutional law, EU migration law and EU human rights’ protection. The course format allows for working in small groups and receiving personal feedback from the tutor. A number of introductory lectures will be offered on research methodology, academic writing and presentation skills. After this, students are required to formulate their own research question, prepare and present draft-research in class and comment on the work of their peers.
Objectives of the course
The course aims at developing students’ research, writing and presentation skills. They will learn to reflect critically on their own work, as well of that of their peers and engage in academic debate. They will present their draft work in class and will be required to take the feedback they receive on board in the final paper.
The following achievement levels apply with regard to the course:
The students acquire a thorough knowledge in a specific field of European law. Additionally, students will practice their research, writing and presentation skills.
The timetable of this course can be found in uSis.
Mode of instruction
Introductory lectures on research methodology, writing an academic paper and presenting work in public.
During the seminars students will present draft research and receive feedback from their tutor and fellow-students. A number of seminars will take the form of consultation hours in preparation of the papers.
Other methods of instruction
Number of (2 hour) instructions: 10
Names of instructors: Dr. J.J. Rijpma, Dr. M. Jesse, other instructors to be decided
Required preparation by students: Students are required to do the required reading in preparation of the introductory lectures. They must do independent research, which they are required to present in class. They will have to comment on the work of their peers.
Papers, presentations and class participation.
The final grade for this course will be determined on the basis of three papers, two presentations and active participation throughout the course. The average of the papers will determine 75% of the final grade. The remaining 25% will consist of an overall grade for the presentations, written comments on other students’ papers and class participation.
Areas to be tested within the exam
Attendance and active participation in this course is compulsory. Failure to respect deadlines or unauthorized absence may result in a lower overall grade.
More information on this course will be offered in Blackboard.
Obligatory course materials
Course information guide
Available on the blackboard environment for this course
Recommended course materials
Recommended readings will be made available on Blackboard or in class.
Co-ordinator: Dr. J.J. Rijpma
Work address: Kamer B1.35 (KOG)
Contact information: appointment via email
Telephone number: +31 (0)71 527 7761
Institute: Public Law
Division: European Law
Room number secretariat: KOG, B 1.19
Opening hours: 9 – 17h
Telephone number secretariat: +31 (0)71 527 8837
Belangstellenden die deze cursus in het kader van contractonderwijs willen volgen (met tentamen), kunnen meer informatie vinden over kosten, inschrijving, voorwaarden, etc. op de website van Juridisch PAO.