Topics: The course introduces the conductance properties of molecular systems and state-of-the-art research on this topic. There will be an emphasis on single-molecular junctions, but organic film devices will also be treated. List of topics:
• Molecular structure, sigma- and pi-bonds, tight binding method
• Quantum charge transport in molecules, Landauer description
• Electron-phonon coupling in molecular junctions
• Theoretical methods (DFT, Hartree-Fock, Born-Oppenheimer approximation)
• Molecular functionality
• Experimental techniques for single-molecular conductance
• Organic semiconductors, OLEDS and solar cells
Lectures and group discussions on relevant scientific articles
Lecture notes, review articles and specific research articles. These will be sent to the students by the lecturers.
Form of Examination
This is a joint Leiden-Delft course. Part of the lectures may be given in Delft.