You can only enroll for the bachelor thesis after having completed the propedeuse (1st year) and when you have obtained a minimum of 60 ec for the courses of the 2nd and 3rd year. One has to be sufficiently advanced in the bachelor courses and studies to be able to succeed at this third year course due to the high level subjects and required standards.
Additionally, with certain thesis subjects specific courses can be listed as special admission requirements (art. 4.2.1.a bachelor OER).
In the bachelor thesis you will report on independently carried out research regarding a legal subject. In the thesis you have to show your ability to report in an analytical and critical manner and reflect on existing analyses and questions within certain fields of law that remained unanswered. This should be done based on the research of law, literature, case law etc. Furthermore, you must demonstrate that you can write a thesis independently to a great extent. The thesis should satisfy the criteria relating to language and form which are set in your field.
The objective of the bachelor thesis is the application and further acquiring of skills such as formulating a research question, doing research, structuring, reasoning and academic writing. Compared to the master thesis, it is of less importance which specific subject has been chosen for the bachelor thesis.
- See ‘course description’
Upon completion of the course, you are able to:
- perform legal research;
- write good legal argumentation;
- form an opinion and/or choose a well-motivated position and express a point of view empowered by arguments.
The timetable for the bachelor thesis 2016/2017 will be published on the blackboard page BACHELOR III THESIS IBL 1617
Mode of instruction
- Number of (2 hour) lectures: 1
- Names of lecturers: t.b.a.
- Required preparation by students: none
- Written work
- See Blackboard
Areas to be tested within the exam
- For the assessment criteria/marking of the thesis please visit the Blackboard page.
More information on this course is offered in Blackboard.
Obligatory course materials
- The ‘Leidraad voor juridische auteurs’.
Recommended course material
- To be announced
The registration for the ba-3 thesis consists of two steps:
- A general registration
- A registration on subject
- The general registration will start in January 2017. First you have to enrol through the general registration procedure. The general registration will be open for enrolment in January 2017.
- After the completion of this general registration, students can choose a subject. The subjects will be open for enrolment approximately a month after the commencement of the general registration. The choice of subjects will be limited and the enrolment in a subject is going to be on a first-come first-service basis.
- More information on the registration procedures will be published on Blackboard in the beginning of January 2017. The guidelines bachelor thesis will also be available on Blackboard.
- Co-ordinator: t.b.a.
- Email: bachelorthesisIBL@law.leidenuniv.nl
- In exceptional cases and under certain conditions the bachelor thesis can be written in another semester. Extensive stays abroad are an example –according to article 3.1 of the ‘Onderwijs- en Examenregeling Bachelor Rechtsgeleerdheid’. More information can be found in the booklet on staying abroad.