The Mentorship course is an obligatory part of the first-year BA Dutch Studies programme.
This non-credit course is designed to offer students instruction and practice in academic skills, such as:
- study skills, time management
- reading and skimming academic literature
- library skills, assessing (online) resources
The students will improve their skills in:
- using their study time efficiently, studying effectively
- identifying the main topics and the main ideas in academic lectures and publications
- finding relevant literature and assessing its general quality and reliability
The timetable will be available on the website.
The classes take place 3 times during the year. For detailed information, please consult the Blackboard page of the course.
Mode of instruction
Interactive lectures and tutorials
- No credits (= 0 EC)
- 2 hours x 3 classes = 6 hours
- Self-study of the library’s online tutorials = 2 hours
- Obligatory attendance, active participation
Blackboard will be used for announcements, general course information, a detailed timetable, distributing course material, etc.
Students are required to register for this course via uSis, the course registration system of Leiden University. Students will be divided into groups at the beginning of the course by the coordinator of studies.
General information about uSis is available in English and Dutch. If you have questions about or problems with the registration, please, turn to the administration office. Please, state your full name and your student number when sending an e-mail.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
Coordinator of Dutch Studies: Ms. I. Zagar