Admission to the pre-master programme Middle Eastern Studies.
Students themselves choose a supervisor for their BA dissertation from among the lecturers involved in the BA Midden-Oosten programme. They do this in consultation with the study coordinator. A general introduction to the dissertation writing process is given in the Academic Skills course.
The thesis will be written in English.
The main text of the thesis should be approximately 8,500 words in length. The maximum length including notes, bibliography, and any appendices, is 10,000 words.
Elementary research skills, including heuristic skills
- collect and select specialised literature using traditional and electronic methods and techniques;
- analyse and evaluate this in terms of quality and reliability;
- formulate a well-defined research problem based on this;
- set up, under supervision, a study of a limited size taking into consideration the traditional and electronic methods and techniques relevant for the discipline;
- formulate a reasoned conclusion on the basis of this;
- also make use of the acquired research skills outside the student’s own discipline.
Written presentation skills
- explain research findings in a clear and well-argued way;
- formulate an answer to questions concerning the discipline or a topic within it
in the form of a clear and well-structured written presentation
in accordance with the criteria set by the discipline
using relevant illustration or multimedia techniques
aimed at a specific target group.
The BA-thesis will be, amongst other elements, assessed on the following elements:
Knowledge and insight (contents, relation to the field)
Application knowledge and insight (methodology)
Reaching conclusions (interpretation, argumentation, conclusion)
Communication (writing skills, structure)
Learning skills (process)
Mode of instruction
Self-study under the guidance of a supervisor. Student and supervisor have at least four meetings during the writing process. A form to set these meetings can be found on the website of the programme under the item forms.
To be able to start the MA on 1 September, the student needs to hand a first complete version of the BA-thesis on June 1, at the latest (see form regarding appointments), to his supervisor. The final version needs to be in on July 1, at the latest.
Regulations and procedures concerning the bacherlor’s thesis.
Blackboard / webpage
No registration in uSis required for the Bachelor’s thesis.