- Mandatory courses as specified in the Course and Examination Regulations for MSc students in Psychologyare enrolled in one of the five master’s specialisations: Child and Adolescent Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Clinical Neuropsychology, Health and Medical Psychology or School Psychology.
- Successful completion of the Trainers’ Course Communication Skills (TCCS, 10 EC; only Dutch speaking students can apply to enrol in this course) is an entry requirement for MSc students from all specialisations who want to apply for an Internal Practical Internship in training bachelor’s students enrolled in the Interpersonal Professional Skills course (IBV: Interpersoonlijke BeroepsVaardigheden)
Students in the five master specialisations, mentioned in the first bullet, are offered the option of an Internal Practical Internship (IPI). Students acquire hands-on professional skills in fields pertaining to the specialisation within the university setting.
Students of the specialisation Clinical Psychology can partake in an internal trajectory that has been created to allow them to meet the criteria of a 10 EC internship in the field of psychological coaching. The practical internal internship is offered once every year, in the form of a trajectory between March 12th and June 21th 2018, for about 2 days a week, two times 6 weeks. The first part of this is an intensive training period, with practical exercises. In the second part, the student will perform individual and/or group coaching to p.e. international students from the Leiden University population. The internship is primarily conducted within the Clinical Psychology Unit at Leiden University.
Students of the specialisation Health and Medical Psychology and the specialisation Clinical Neuropsychology can partake in an internal trajectory that has been created to allow them to meet the criteria of a 10 EC internship in the field of psychological coaching. The internal practical internship is offered once every year, in the form of a trajectory between February and May, for about 2 days a week. The first part of this trajectory is an intensive training period, with practical exercises. In the second part, the student will perform individual and/or group coaching to p.e. international students from the Leiden University International student population. The internship is conducted within the Health, Medical and Neuropsychology Unit at Leiden University.
Students of the specialisation Child and Adolescent Psychology can partake in the Internal Practical Internship that has been created to meet the criteria of a 10 EC internship. It involves participation in two Plus-Version components and the preparation of a Final Report attached to regular mandatory courses of the specialisation. Each Plus Version component is equivalent to 4 EC (112 hours each), and the Final Report is equivalent to 2 EC (56 hours). Once students have completed two Plus-Version components they may prepare (or finish preparing) their Final Report. The internship is primarily conducted within the Developmental and Educational Psychology Unit at Leiden University, but some work takes place in a school setting.
Students of the specialisation School Psychology can partake in an internal trajectory that has been created to allow them to meet the criteria of a 10 EC internship. It involves participation in two Plus-Version components and the preparation of a Final Report attached to regular mandatory courses of the specialisation. The internal practical internship will take place between November and June, for about 10 hours a week. Each Plus Version component is equivalent to 4 EC, and the Final Report is equivalent to 2 EC. The two components of the internal practical internship are each offered once every year. The first component is focused on school-based intervention for internalizing problems. In the second component, students will further explore principles related to a coaching intervention for teachers.
Students from all specialisations can take the TCCS course. After successful completion of the TCCS course students can apply for an internship in training second years Psychology students in interpersonal professional skills (IBV). This IBV IPI is equivalent to 10 EC, and involves participation in two 6-week periods of IBV, active participation in supervision and intervision and the preparation of a final report. The IBV IPI is offered once every year between February and June, for about 16 hours a week. The internship is conducted at the Institute of Psychology at Leiden University.
In general in the Internal Practical Internship, students learn how to:
- apply their knowledge, understanding and problem solving abilities in a new and unfamiliar task environment within a broader (or multi-disciplinary) context related to their field of specialisation.
- integrate knowledge and handle complexity by formulating judgments with incomplete or limited information. These judgements should reflect social and ethical responsibilities.
- perform basic skills to provide evidence-based psychological treatment (or parts thereof) to clients
- perform specialized skills in the area of interviewing, observing, and reporting;
- communicate their judgements (and the knowledge and rationale underpinning these judgements) clearly and unambiguously to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
Please note: The Internal Practical Internship does not meet the requirements for entry into the postmaster training program to achieve registration in the Netherlands as a GZ (gezondheidszorg = healthcare) psychologist. International students should also check the regulations in their home country to determine whether the 10 EC internship fulfils national requirements for registration as a psychologist.
Registration with the internship coordinator of the student’s specialisation.
The IPI is restricted to a maximum of participants. In case more students apply there is a selection procedure in which international students get priority. Maximum participants for Child and Adolescent psychology is 12, for Clinical Psychology is 12, for Health Medical and Clinical Neuropsychology is 12, and for School Psychology 12.
Registration for TCCS, as an entry requirement for an IPI in training students in the BSc course IBV, via uSis at the Master’s course registration.
Mode of instruction
280 practical hours
The student writes an internship report. Assessment by a university staff member. The final assessment is by the examinator based on a set of evaluation criteria specific for the Master specialisation of the student.
The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences has instituted that instructors use a software programme for the systematic detection of plagiarism in students’ written work. In case of fraud disciplinary actions will be taken.
For both Dutch and international students the ethical code of the Dutch Association of Psychologists or the American Association of Psychologists is required reading for the internship:
- Dutch Association of Psychologists (NIP) code
- Code of Conduct of American Psychological Association
Members of Labyrint, the Study Association in Psychology, can purchase books with a discount from the Labyrint webshop.
Internship coordinator of the Master specialisation (see 'More info) and for IBV IPI the TCCS coordinator