Entrepreneurship is everywhere. The number of entrepreneurs has increased considerably in the Netherlands over the past years. Entrepreneurs are the “agents of change” who identify entrepreneurial opportunities and act upon these opportunities. An increasing amount of people recognize that entrepreneurship may be rewarding in terms of high levels of autonomy and satisfaction with one’s work.
Recognizing entrepreneurial opportunities and having an innovative mindset are of utmost importance in our changing society and play, therefore, key roles in this course. The focus is on the individual entrepreneur who takes the risk to start and grow a firm. Who are these entrepreneurs, how do these entrepreneurs recognize entrepreneurial opportunities, and what are the most important aspects during the process of starting and running a company? This course also devotes attention to financing issues related to managing a firm.
This course is a challenging entry into business studies, entrepreneurship, and innovation. Students acquire relevant academic and practical insights and skills in the areas of entrepreneurship and innovation, and the domains closely connected to entrepreneurial decision making such as marketing, strategy, and finance. The course consists of lectures and interactive seminars (“werkgroepen”) in which real life business cases are discussed; also, students are expected to write and pitch a start-up plan. Guest speakers will be invited to share their practical insights.
The objective of this course is to acquaint the student with entrepreneurship and innovation.
At the end of the course the student has acquired the following knowledge and skills:
- The student is able to explain what entrepreneurship is and why studying entrepreneurship is important;
- The student can identify which skills, attitudes, and types of behavior a successful entrepreneur possesses;
- The student can explain which aspects play a role during the process of starting and growing a firm from a theoretical point of view;
- The students can apply theoretical knowledge (see previous learning goal) to real life business cases;
- The student can write, evaluate, and convincingly pitch a start-up plan.
Zie de opleidingspagina van de website.
Method of teaching
- 7 times 2 hours;
- Lecturer: Dr. Peter van der Zwan;
- Lectures are taught in English.
- 7 times 2 hours;
- Lecturers: Dr. Peter van der Zwan, Niek Strohmaier MSc and Maral Darouei MSc;
- Seminars are taught in English;
- Preparation and participation required.
Types of assessment
- Written exam (60%)
- Team assignment (start-up plan) (30%)
- Presentation (10%)
A minimum score of 5.0 is required for the exam to pass this course. Passes for the separate parts can be reapplied at the re-sits in the same year only. The separate parts can be compensated, but the written exam is the only part for which a re-sit exists.
Regulation retake passed exams
In this course it is possible to retake an exam that has been passed (cf. art. 220.127.116.11 and further of the Course and Examination Regulations), on the condition that this course is included in the compulsory components of the degree programme. Students who have passed the exam may retake the final written assessment (test) of the course. Please contact the Student Administration Office (OIC) for more information.
The studied chapters from the text book, the required literature and listed in the Syllabus, and everything thas has been dealt with in the lectures and seminars.
Blackboard is applied for this course.
- Hisrich, R., Peters, M. and Shepherd, D. (2017). Entrepreneurship (10th edition), McGraw-Hill: New York, ISBN: 9781259255427 (paperback version);
- Articles: links will be made available through Blackboard.
- Coordinator: Dr. P.W. van der Zwan
- Address: Steenschuur 25, Leiden
- Working days: Monday to Friday 09.00 - 17.00
- Telephone: 071 – 527 8560
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Institute: Tax Law and Economics
- Department of Business Studies:
- Opening hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 09.00 - 17.00
- Telephone secretarial office: 071 – 527 7851
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Belangstellenden die deze cursus in het kader van contractonderwijs willen volgen (met tentamen), kunnen meer informatie vinden over kosten, inschrijving, voorwaarden, etc. op de website van Juridisch PAO. Let op dat er wel voldaan moet worden aan de toegangseisen.