BSc MST students with a major in Chemistry, BSc LST students.
Strategies for the synthesis of current of newly developed drugs are discussed, including retro-synthetic analysis, introduction and modification of functional groups and the use of protective groups, control of stereo- and regio-selectivity.
After the course students:
• Will have knowledge of the relation of structure and reactivity of organic molecules;
• Will have knowledge of standard chemical reactions, with a focus on functional group conversions;
• Will have knowledge of chemical concepts such as delocalization, conjugation, stereochemistry, tautomerism, regio-, chemo- and stereoselectivity, and aromaticity.
• Will be able to apply the chemical concepts;
• Will be able to predict the structures of products of standard reactions;
• Will be able to predict the required reagents for standard reactions;
• Will be able to describe the mechanism of reactions.
- Organic chemistry, Clayden, Greeves, Warren, Oxford University
- Literature will be provided during the course.
Dhr. Prof. Dr. G.J. van der Marel
Mode of instruction
Lectures with active participation of the student
Register for this course via Usis.