Elective course in the MSc Chemistry and Life Science and Technology
BSc in LST or MST
The course Integrated Cell Biology (ICB) is a one week crash course on cell culture, providing theoretical background in the morning, followed by practical work aiming at quickly learning cell culture skills and essential applications. All theoretical and experimental topics will be centered around the lysosome.
At the end of the course students:
• have theoretical knowledge on various forms of cell & tissue culture (both past and future)
• have mastered the essentials of cell culture
• have knowledge on various crucial cell culture read outs (immunohistochemistry, fluorescent microscopy and viability assays)
• can set up a cell culture experiment
• have additional essay and report writing skills
Mode of instruction
Lectures, hands on cell culture experiments and application and self-study (essay preparation).
Schedule information can be found on the website of the programmes.
Relevant publications and experimental protocols will be provided in pdf format via blackboard. An optional textbook suggestion: Mummery, C., v.d. Stolpe, A., Roelen, B., Clevers, H. (2014) Stem Cells: Scientific Facts and Fiction. 2nd edition. Academic Press. ISBN:9780124115514.
Students submit a short essay (1000 words) within the “Lysosome theme” and a report written in article style (3000 words). Both submissions via Turnitin in Blackboard. The final mark will be composed as such: 40% literature essay + 40% practical report + 20% impression practical and theoretical skills.
Information about the lecturer
Register for this course via blackboard and confirm via lecturer.