Japanese language proficiency: low intermediate level.
This course offers a brief introduction to a wide range of topics in Japanese linguistics, including: sound system, vocabulary and word structure, word meaning, writing system, sentence structure, and use and functions of Japanese in relation to social structures and interpersonal relationships.
Students will gain:
- A basic understanding of these fields of Japanese linguistics and terminology used within them;
- An ability to discuss problems related to the structure and use of Japanese;
- A basic ability to analyse some aspects of written and spoken language by working on short assignments.
For more information, check time table.
Mode of instruction
Participation element (attendance, participation, presentation & presentation write-up): 30%
Analytical element (analytical exercises): 20%
Research paper (2,000-2,500 words): 30%
Final exam: 20%
Course notes and slides, course schedule, assignments, links, etc.
- Yamaguchi, Toshiko, 2007. Japanese Linguistics – An Introduction, Continuum. ISBN: 0826487904
- Reader (available at Studiepunt)
Please contact Mw. Dr. R.J. Länsisalmi.