Same as admission requirements for the BA Art History.
The central theme of this course is the collection, presentation, conservation and management of cultural heritage, in the past and in the present day, in a national and international context. The emphasis will be on the historical development of the museum and on architectural, social and theoretical issues concerning contemporary museums, museums presentations and cultural heritage.
- Being able to distinguish the most important types of collections in various museums, archives, monuments and heritage sites and identify similarities and differences.
- Knowing why and in what ways individuals and institutions have collected cultural objects and have established heritage collections.
- Basic knowledge of the ways in which heritage collections in the course of time have been made accessible to, and have been used by various audiences.
- Being able to classify, characterize and analyse heritage collections.
- Being able to identify and understand crucial historical and contemporary museum practices and debates.
Please note: for the final schedule refer to Collegeroosters / Timetable BA Art History on the Art History website.
Mode of instruction
- Lecture series
Course load summary: 10 ects (280 hrs)
48 hrs: Attending lectures (4 hrs weekly x 12 weeks)
48 hrs: Lecture preparations
50 hrs: Practical assignment
90 hrs: Studying literature (450 pp à 5 pp/hr)
40 hrs: Exam preparations (writing abstracts etc)
04 hrs: Exams
- Mid term exam (written): 40% of Final Grade.
- Final exam (written): 60% of Final Grade.
(The Final Exam consits of two parts: a practical assignment (take-home) of 20% and a written test of 40%.)
Compensation: one grade of 5.0 (no lower) is allowed for compensation.
Re-sit: one re-sit per insufficient mark. There is NO re-sit for the practical assignment.
Blackboard will be used throughout the course for announcements, assignments and literature.
- E. Hooper-Greenhill, Museums and the Interpretation of Visual Culture. London / New York: Routledge, 2005.
- Other literature will be made available electronically, to be announced.
Registration Studeren à la Carte and Contractonderwijs