Due to the Corona virus education methods or examination can deviate. For the latest news please check the course page in Brightspace.

Prospectus

nl en

Perspective on Career Planning (IBP)

Course
2015-2016

Students of the Dutch bachelor’s programme, see Perspectief op Carriereplanning

Entry requirements

Students are strongly advised to first follow the first-year Academic Skills Tutorial.

Description

This course consists of 4 modules:

  • Career development: In this module, we examine how careers develop. Do they take the form of a straight, continuous line (‘linear’) or do they tend to be more erratic and less predictable (‘non-linear’)? Students discover that career development is a skill that requires them to direct a dynamic process in which the choices they make play a key role.

  • Self-knowledge: The better students know themselves, the better they will be able to shape the personal aspect of their career development. Questions such as ‘What am I capable of?’ and ‘What do I want?’ are central to this process, together with the question of how you can explore these issues.

  • Content of the work environment: Students are given some knowledge of the various work environments of psychologists. In addition they learn which questions to ask to discover gaps in their own knowledge with respect to the development of their career, and where and how they can remedy these gaps.

  • Role of the work environment: This module explicitly addresses the question: ‘What will be expected of me, and what is my role in my future work environment?’ The module also handles ethics and the professional code of conduct.

In addition, this course also has a mentoring function.

Course objectives

Academic skills, the principles of which will already have been introduced in a number of programme components in the first year (including the Academic Skills Tutorial), are combined in this course with skills that prepare students for professional practice. Students learn on the one hand what they can expect from their future work environment (career prospects) and on the other hand what their work environment will expect of them (application of academic knowledge and skills). Students will, in a problem-solving way, actively deal with career-related questions.

Timetable

For the timetables of your lectures, workgroups, and exams, select your study programme.
Psychology timetables

Registration

Course

Students need to register for lectures, workgroups and exams.
Instructions for registration in courses for the 2nd and 3rd year of the IBP

For information on registration periods consult the bachelor course registration

Examination

Students are not automatically enrolled for an examination. They can register via uSis from 100 to 10 calendar days before the date; students who are not registered will not be permitted to take the examination.
Registering for exams

Mode of instruction

6 2-hour lectures and 10 work group sessions.
During the lectures a number of theories are discussed that are introduced in the modules. Guest speakers are invited to give their own vision on various aspects of career development based on their own experience. The lectures are supplemented by 10 work group sessions in which assignments are completed and discussed. The assignments cover career development, knowledge and understanding of one’s own ambitions and skills, expectations from the work environment and feedback on the reading list. In individual mentor sessions, each student is given the opportunity to discuss his/her study progress and planning for the third year, as well as other possible activities.

Assessment method

Every module is concluded with an individual assignment. The course is concluded with an individual final assignment. Attendance and participation are also assessed.
The final grade is calculated as follows:

  • The average grade of the four assignments (60%) + a grade for attendance and active, relevant participation (10%). Together, these two form a single grade that counts for 70% of the final grade.

  • The grade for the final assignment (30%)

Regulation on grade calculation.

The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences has instituted that instructors use a software programme for the systematic detection of plagiarism in students’ written work. In case of fraud disciplinary actions will be taken. Please see the information concerning fraud.

Reading list

Students are not required to purchase a book for this course. The reading list will be announced via Blackboard.

Contact information

Esther van Leeuwen
POCP@fsw.leidenuniv.nl