this information is not updated to 2016-2017 yet!
Research methods & skills are essential to carry out a scientific investigation. Four methodology themes will be discussed:
- Making a managerial research question
- conceptualize and operationalize
- Research design, data collection and analysis of data
- Assessing business research
Also statistical exploration of data is important. So we use system R software to quantify research data and use statistical analysis to substantiate findings.
By the end of the course, the student:
- should be able to independently establish a business research and understand the issues that arise in the implementation.
• could create a problem from interpretation research
• should be able to place the research and interpretation problem in a conceptual model
• should be able to create a research design
• Has insight how to collect and analyze data
• Has insight how to construct survey responses in a responsible manner
• Has insight how to link research answers back to the problem situation
• Has insight how to make recommendations
• Has insight how to review business research
• Has knowledge of basic statistics
• should be able to process research data with statistical functions such as; regression
• should be able to interpret research data with statistical functions and formulate conclusions.
The schedule is tailor-made and will be defined by mutual agreement.
Mode of instruction
The course combines lectures, case studies, interactive discussions, assignments, research, a final paper. Students are required to fill in expected study efforts (SBUs) by co-operating, self-study and to explore literature on available resouces such as libraries, internet, etc.
There is a preparatory assignment before the first meeting.
Statistical assignments (30%)
The following textbooks are required:
- Jonker J & Pennink, B.J.W., The Essence Of Research Methodology, Van Gorcum , Assen, 2e druk isbn 90-232-3541-X
• Problem solving in organizations. Methodological Handbook For Business Students
• System R manual
Teachers will provide articles during course.
For more information, please contact Programme Co-ordinator ms. Judith Havelaar LL.M