Bio-Pharmaceutical Sciences: Bio-Pharmaceutical Sciences and Science-Based Business
Bio-Pharmaceutical Sciences and Science Based Business is a specialisation of the Master’s programme Bio-Pharmaceutical Sciences of Leiden University. Students in this Master’s programme are trained for a research career in drug research and development. Each of the three research specialisations corresponds to major research themes of the Leiden Academic Center for Drug Research (LACDR). The remaining four BPS tracks consists of a research component in combination with a specialisation on Science-Based Business (SBB), Communication (SCS), Education (EDU) or Industrial Pharmacy (IP).
The specialisation Science Based Business (SBB) provides knowledge and skills in the area of Management, Business and Entrepreneurship. Its focus is on their application in science- and research-driven organisations. Its purpose is to broaden the horizon, to form an opinion on and prepare for a career in industry and to enhance competencies for pursuing entrepreneurial business opportunities created through science and research (Research Based Business; RBB).
Programme BPS research component
- the Introduction Course Bio-Pharmaceutical Sciences in the specialisation corresponding to the cluster at which Research Project 1 is performed (5 EC)
- a research project of 49 EC in one of the research groups of the LACDR, including 5 EC for a thesis and 2 EC for an oral presentation
- one of the lecture series listed below (4 EC)
- the course Scientific Conduct (1 EC)
- 20 colloquia points (1 EC in total)
- Optional: extension of the BPS research subprogramme by attending additional lecture series of BPS or other courses in life sciences or medicine (0—20 EC)
The choices for lecture series and research project will be made in concert with an advisor.
Programme SBB component
Completion of the specialisation SBB requires a minimum of 40 EC and a maximum of 60 EC from the SBB courses. This includes at least, either
- SBB Fundamentals (15 EC) and SBB Internship (25-35 EC); or
- Principles of RBB (15 EC) and RBB Assignment (25-35 EC)
If SBB Fundamentals is part of the programme, and the students opt for Research Based Business, then the RBB foundation course “RBB Opportunities” is not mandatory.
Course information on the SBB courses can obtained from the SBB pages in the e-Prospectus.