|Course||EC||Semester 1||Semester 2|
Internship can be 10 or 20EC (consult the information tab).
|Health Promotion and Disease Prevention||5|
|Psychological Assessment and Interventions in Chronic Disease||5|
|Basic Therapeutic Skills||5|
|Master Thesis in MSc. Psychology||20|
Recommended elective course(s)
If an Internship of 10EC is chosen, add 10EC electives.
|Trainers Course Communication Skills||10|
|Health Psychology in Practice||5|
International students only
Optional. Replaces 10EC internship; add 10EC electives.
|Psychological Coaching in Life and Life Style Issues||10|
For the timetables please consult the course descriptions.
- Regulations: Enrolling, Course and Examination, Master’s diploma and graduation
- Entry requirements Master specialisations (pdf)
- Post-master vocational training in health care (in Dutch)
- Archive e-Prospectus
This is a specialization for the master’s programme of Psychology.
Health Psychology is a new and rapidly developing sub-discipline of Psychology. It can be described as “the aggregate of the specific educational, scientific and professional contributions of the discipline of Psychology to the promotion and maintenance of health, the prevention and treatment of illness, the identification of etiological and diagnostic correlates of health and illness and related dysfunction, and the analysis and improvement of the health care system and health policy” (Matarazzo, 1982).
The major aim of this MSc specialisation is to provide students with a theoretical and practical background for health psychology research and interventions. This includes the acquisition of knowledge and skills relevant to health promotion and disease prevention, to the well being of the physically ill and the self-management of chronic diseases. Students acquire advanced research skills by participating in a health psychology research project. Completion of the MSc degree will prepare the student for subsequent academic degrees, including a PhD. Master’s Programme – Health Psychology.
- The curriculum of the basic master programme Clinical Psychology consists of a variety of courses and a master thesis. These are:
- mandatory courses (20EC)
- master thesis (20EC)
- master internship (10 or 20EC)
- when an internship of 10EC is chosen, electives (10EC) are compulsory
- For Dutch students it is important to mind the training requirements for post-master vocational training in health care (information in Dutch) in their choices of courses.
- Information for foreign students (pdf).
- Students of this specialisation can find more information on the website of the unit of Clinical, Health and Neuropsychology.
Choose up to 10 EC, depending on the length of the Internship, from the elective courses.
Students can choose to do an Internship for 10 or 20 EC. An Internship for 20 EC includes Organisational, Ethical and Legal Aspects of Health Care and supervision on BAPD-reports, or for international students ‘Psychological Coaching in Life and Life Style Issues (10 EC, completed with 10 EC electives). Please also see the options for doing an internship (pdf). For more information, or if you have any specific questions, please contact the study coordinator of your specialisation.
For more detailed information about the specialisation Health psychology please contact:
- Dr. C. Verhoeven
Tel: +31 (0)71 527 4069
- Marit de Boer (student-representative)
Purchasing study material
The books are available at a discount via the bookshop of the study association Labyrint on presentation of your Labyrint membership pass. Otherwise they can be bought from academic booksellers.