Students who are looking for an extra challenge, but would like to compose their own Honours programme instead of completing the regular Honours programme, can participate in the Honours College FSW Individual track. The starting point for this track is that you propose a theme based on your own vision and ambitions for your future career. What do you believe will best prepare you for your mission in your professional life? For the individual track, you may include courses that may deepen and broaden your knowledge of that particular field of study as well as a relevant extension of your BA thesis.
You should have a GPA of 7.5 or higher and be on track to complete your studies within the prescribed time.
Content of the FSW Honours College Individual Track
The Honours Individual Track amounts to 30 ECs in total.
At least 10 EC from the programme offered by the FSW Honours College and the Honours Academy:
- At least one Honours Class organized by the Honours Academy (5 EC).
- The workshops “Personal and Professional Development” (2 EC in year 2, 1 EC in year 3) from the programme offered by the FSW Honours College are also mandatory.
- Other courses from the FSW Honours College programme that you may follow (but you don’t have to): a societal or research internship (1-5 EC) and one (but no more) course organized by Leiden University College (5 EC).
Courses from your own and/or other BA programs (bringing your total number of ECs up to 28 ECs).
You may take up to two courses from your own discipline, but they should always be of a higher level than your current year (300 level courses in your second year; 400 level courses in your third year). In addition, you will complete an additional Honours assignment for these courses. Keep in mind that the credits from these courses do not count towards your own BA programme.
If you take one or more courses from another BA program, they too should have a level of 300 if you are in your second year, and level 400 in your third year.
You will extend your BA thesis with 3 ECs in order to broaden or deepen your research.
Procedure for admission to the FSW Honours College Individual Track
There are several steps to the admissions process.
If you meet the GPA and do not have any study delays, you can enroll as a candidate for the FSW Individual Honours Track via this website.
The coach from the Honours College FSW will invite you for a kick-off meeting. She will help you to compose a study plan for your Honours programme.
You will submit your final study plan to your coach and the coordinator of the Honours College FSW. You will then be invited for an interview with your coach and the coordinator, during which you will be asked to elaborate on the following: what interconnected or thematic learning objective(s) you wish to achieve, your personal learning pathway, the courses that you picked for your Honours programme, and how your Honours programme will enable you to achieve the learning outcomes of the FSW Honours College (see below). It is up to the coach and coordinator of the Honours College FSW to approve your study plan. If necessary, your study plan will be reviewed by the Board of Examiners.
Learning outcomes of the FSW Honours College
- HC students are familiar with the way different academic disciplines approach and understand certain themes.
- HC students have developed a vision on a current societal issue related to their theme.
- HC students have a curious and critical attitude and are capable of asking insightful questions about their chosen theme.