A pre-master track is intended for students who want to start a master in Archaeology, but who have a bachelor’s degree that does not fully meet the requirements of the chosen MA programme.
Deficiencies in the bachelor can be elimiated by means of a pre-master track, with a maximum of 60 ects.
The following BA graduates, whose intended MA focus areas do not concur with their previous education, are eligible for a pre-master in Archaeology:
- Leiden University students (not from the Archaeology department)
- other Dutch universities and HBO institutes (higher vocational education)
- foreign universities
What you need in order to be admitted to a pre-master track in Archaeology:
- BA (university or HBO) obtained
- deficiencies with a maximum of 60 ec (1 year)
- the track and its courses are chosen in consultation with the Admission Committee and pre-master coordinator
- you will only be admitted to the main specialisation you are applying for.
Please note: these conditions will not automatically ensure you of admission to the pre-master track. Every application will be assessed individually.
An interview may be part of the selection procedure.
The application procedure is as follows:
* Apply for the BA in Archaeology (higher year, not first year), via Studielink. Within a few days you will receive log-in details for the Leiden University online application portal, where you can opt for the Pre-master. In your motivation letter, please indicate for which of the 4 tracks in the Master you are applying.
If you want to have a chance to be admitted to the MA directly, you can also apply for the MA straight away.
* The Admission Committee decides if you can be directly admitted to the MA or not. If you need to take a Pre-master programme, the Admission Committee will send you a negative admission decision for the MA, but including a proposal for a Pre-master programme. In that case you will have to apply for the BA, higher year, in Studielink and the Pre-master in the online application portal, as mentioned above. To prevent you from missing the deadlines, it is therefore advisable to fill out both the BA higher year/Pre-master and MA application at the same time.
Pre-master tracks start every September 1st. The deadline for application is 1 April for non-EU students and 15 June for EU students.
For additional information and application please contact the Admission Committee.
The Master tracks are: